Sunday, November 4, 2018

Cut People Some Slack (My Story)


I was in the queue to check into an hotel when a man probably in his early 40's brisked pass me so fast that he nearly knocked me off. The hotel security was quick to point out to him that there is a queue and he will have to be behind me. The man glanced at me with scornful eyes and responded in a fierce voice 'Nonsense. I am checking in now.' His accent gave him away as French. The hotel security were going to begin a scene but I told them not to bother, that I will wait.

Interestingly, there was another opening at an alternative check in counter so I simply made my way there. I was still concluding my check in modalities when I heard the same French man screaming at the hotel attendant. Clearly, there was an issue with his booking and he was not taking any prisoners on that. He was making his feelings known, never mind that the fault might have been his.

I had finished my check in modalities but I observed that this man was still there, cursing and somewhat flustered. I told the concierge to take my stuff to the room and I remained there, determined to have a conversation with this man. Not to return his insults but to make it clear to him that he should learn some decorum and respect others. So I waited and waited.

Eventually, the man was asked to wait at the reception as further confirmation was required to validate his booking. It was at this point I approached him, still poised to 'clear him.' However, as I approached where he was seated I noticed that his eyes were heavy, his shoulders slumped and his countenance was uneasy. I changed my script at this point and simply said 'Hi.' He looked up at me and was quick to say how sorry he was for the earlier episode. He added that he was having a rough patch. Curious, both genuinely and in a typical 'amebo' way I was quick to tell him that his apology was accepted and that I didn't come to start another scene. He was grateful. Then I asked him what was wrong. He told me that he was just flying in from France on a company business and that he had to leave his 7 year old son behind who was battling a severe brain tumour. His only child. He further mentioned that his wife had just passed away. He clearly didn't want to make the trip but he had to as this was critical for his company. Hence, everything was getting to him.

I felt sad for him. I had no words but to just listen to him and all I could say at the end was 'Take it easy. It will be fine.' Thankfully, his booking had been sorted at this point. He thanked me and we parted ways.

Truly, we are all going through stuff. To recognize this is to be easy on people. Most often than not, people's reaction towards you is not always about you. There is a 'world' they are reacting to. You are only an outlet. Even when your ego is bruised and you want to rightly stand up for yourself, remember this truth and just be nice and kind.

For when all is said and done, we will all have bad days. Days when our tempers will flare, days when life will stretch our patience and circumstances will almost bring us to a breaking point. The key is that we cut people some slack on their bad days, safe in the thought that the world will be easy on us too on our worse days.

1 comment:

Nigeria 2023 Elections: A Crime Scene

The 2023 Nigeria general elections have been a complete sham, and a retrogression of our nascent democracy. Whatever gains Professor Jega ma...