14 Life Lessons I Learnt In 2014
2. I learnt that the world does not really revolve around any one and nothing stands still when you are gone. In truth, the world does not really care about you; hence, you can as well do yourself some good by caring less of what the world thinks of you.
3. Everyone has issues in their lives; some of us just mask it better than others while some others just face them squarely rather than rubbing it into everyone’s face. We are fighting something and we are all tussling through a battle. Perhaps, it is key that you remember the next someone’s gut or lifestyle infuriates you that nobody has it completely figured out.
4. It’s ok to feel down at times, to be down beat, to be disappointed. What is a travesty is to remain there. Life has taught me to cut myself some slack and not always take myself too serious when I don’t have it all together.
5. Find the fun in every moment. Nothing is as hard as it seems. Relax, take a break, listen to some music and find some joy in admiring the colours of the fire even when you are going through hell.
6. In 2014, I saw a movie ‘The Dawn of the Planet of Apes’. It was one of the best I saw in 2014 alongside ‘The Equalizer’ and ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’. While there were plenty to learn from the movie, key for me was the lesson: Eliminate the potential trouble in your life before it snowballs into a monster.
7. A great truth I learnt this year is this: Never let the little things get to you. Too often than not, we get bugged by what someone said, what he did to you, how she behaved towards you and such petty things. While not justifying these actions, I believe our lives will be much easier if we let some things go and just turn a blind eye. It’s not weakness; it’s called ‘rising above petty things’.
8. Life has taught me to be grateful always. It takes nothing to be grateful, but it can mean a lot. Appreciate the people in your life, appreciate those who provide their shoulders for you to lean on and be swift to say ‘Thank You’ always.
9. In 2014, I reaffirmed the immense importance of family. Through thick and thin; when push comes to shove, when the chips are utterly down, family will always be there. Put them as priority in all you do.
10. Friends come and go. In 2014, I lost some friends, but I also made some wonderful ones. People will always be people, live and deal with it.
11. Vacations are really great. You must not travel to the Bahamas or Seychelles to have a smashing time. At times, it is priceless to leave your immediate environment and take some time off away from people and events. The refreshment from this is simply amazing.
12. I have discovered that self-confidence is not only infectious, it opens doors. You have to so believe in yourself that everyone accepts the truth that you are the best thing to happen since slice bread (Lol). There is also a thin line between having a high self-esteem and being cocky. Be careful not to thread there.
13. Life has taught me that every moment is a battle. Sharpen your blade and show up for the fight. Sometimes life is tough, but always you are tougher. Thus, live before you die. Be bold. Take risks. Go out and make some irreplaceable memories.
14. When all is said and done, your relationship with God will be all that truly matter. Never forget this in your everyday sojourn in life.