Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Victory In The Face Of Life's Odds!

Five donkey years ago, my father taught me a fundamental lesson. One I was going to remember on a day like this. I vividly recollect the day he said that. The clouds were pregnant with tears and the sun hoarded it radiance. 'Jideofor,' he whisphered my name, in a tone that was hallmarked in uncertainity. I hurried and sat by his side. My ears were anticipating and my eyes exposed it's nakedness. 'Jideofor', he continued, 'If you are going to be the man of your dreams, then you must be ready for daunting, unfamiliar and precarious odds.' Five years later, I was in a fix that demanded my dexterity in bravity, and temerity in a beleaguered situation. This was the tale of my final year project defense as a graduate. As I stepped into the hall ready to keep my lecturers in awe and astoundment, an unusual occourance happened and I was sent out in an indignation that was too grievous for words. Almost all of my classmates all defended before I was given a second chance. As I entered the hall, I was sent out again. And finally, I was given a chance. My spirit tended towards dampenness, and the confidence I once exuded, eluded me. But, my father's words came back to haunt me. I conjured courage, and defended. When the result was out, I was one of the best. Indeed, I realized that days of diverse odds like this, are what creates the stuff of which our character is built. Dearest friends, what odds are before you today? Stick to your convictions and almost remember that, the darker the night, the brighter the dawn. Never forget, that the trails of life are intended to make us better and not bitter. I end with the words of my exquisite father again: 'If you are going to be the man of your dreams, then you must be ready for daunting, unfamiliar and precarious odds.' How ready are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nigeria 2023 Elections: A Crime Scene

The 2023 Nigeria general elections have been a complete sham, and a retrogression of our nascent democracy. Whatever gains Professor Jega ma...